[TriLUG] Perl and SMP

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Mon Jun 4 14:32:48 EDT 2007

I fear I know the answer to this already, but...

is there any way to get perl to use the multiple processors on an SMP
machine (running linux, of course), short of fork()ing distinct processes?
I've got a text processing program chugging along on one processor with
three more sitting there idle, and it would be nice to see it Just Work
(tm) by using all four. But it's not worth rewriting the program to fork
into separate threads.

Thanks-
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl