[TriLUG] Perl and SMP

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Mon Jun 4 14:57:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Michael Tharp wrote:

> Andrew Perrin wrote:
>> I fear I know the answer to this already, but...
>>
>> is there any way to get perl to use the multiple processors on an SMP
>> machine (running linux, of course), short of fork()ing distinct processes?
>> I've got a text processing program chugging along on one processor with
>> three more sitting there idle, and it would be nice to see it Just Work
>> (tm) by using all four. But it's not worth rewriting the program to fork
>> into separate threads.
>>
> You've already exhausted your only two choices: either spawn threads
> (Perl threading), or spawn processes (fork). You can't make a single
> thread use more than one processor.

That's what I figured, thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl