[TriLUG] Perl and SMP

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Mon Jun 4 21:51:30 EDT 2007

I guess I'm just used to my computer being smarter than I am....

To my mind, I imagine just about any task given to a computer can be
broken down into smaller tasks until these tasks are at the level of a
long series of processor instructions. I could see a sort of dispatch
system sending each of these instructions to a different processor in
line, then re-assembling the results as they came in. Again, I'm sure this
is hopelessly simplistic, and the process in question is now finished, so
it's all academic. But then again, I'm an academic....

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl