[TriLUG] easy encrypted VoIP?

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 10:49:49 EDT 2007

I was going to make a similar suggestion, but didn't
due to the fact that what you seem to be looking for
Magnus is a solution that would allow you to call
anyone anywhere using an actual phone. We have a
remote user that I setup on a route-based VPN tunnel
for VOIP and pc connectivity which is encrypted about
as high as you want to go in ASICs. The problem with
the encryption comes in with processor overhead.
Creating a phone with enough processing power to
perform *significant* encryption would be impractical
unless you had a committed encryption ASIC in the
phone.

It can certainly be done and I'd guess someone is
already working on it. I know that Google has a free
VPN client that will encrypt all  Wifi traffic
automatically (for laptop users at Starbucks I
imagine), but that requires a pc.

Kevin
--- Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:

> Reginald Reed wrote:
> > Sure you can do this.  Setup encrypted tunnels/vpn
> between end points,
> > run asterisk on one end and connect clear inside
> the respective homes
> > to the tunnel end-points.  If you have enough
> upstream bandwidth, you
> > could do this for several friends and family at
> once, even using
> > hardware devices for VPN (cheapest linksys router
> with OpenWRT for
> > example).
>
> This is incredibly impractical for making phone
> calls.  The encryption
> should be built into the VoIP client, not hidden in
> the network layer
> between two fixed points.
> TriLUG Member Services FAQ :
> http://members.trilug.org/services_faq/