[TriLUG] writing about a OSS project you had nothing to do with

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Tue Jun 5 15:55:45 EDT 2007

Greg Brown wrote:
> So, Triluggers, I'm wondering would about the ethics of profiting
> through writing about a OSS project that you, yourself, had nothing
> to do with?

It happens all the time.  And I don't think that anyone has cause to
resent it.

> Say I decide to write a book about any OSS project, say, SSH.  Better
> yet, what about Small Business Network Management Using OpenNMS.
> That project is one that is managed locally.  What if I did decide to
> write such a book?

The only issue I could foresee would be trademark acknowledgment issues
but that's about it.   IANAL.

> For the purposes of this argument let's say I would keep
> all the money and not return any to the project (just for the sake of
> argument, people).

It would be a good gesture to contribute something back to the project
but I hardly think it is necessary.

Still, the best books on OSS are usually done with the consent and
participation of the leaders of the project which is being written
about.  If you're starting out with an adversarial relationship, your
book may end up less compelling and less technically correct as a result.

> What do you think?  I can't imagine all the OSS related books were
> blessed by the specific OSS projects yet there seems to be something
> not quite right about it.

I can't think of any off the top of my head that operated completely
outside of the informed consent and participation of the project team
but there might be a few out there.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it at all.  The fact that it is
FOSS-licensed shouldn't even enter into it (except when considering
whether to kick some of the $$ back into the project or not).