[TriLUG] SuSE Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Read CD

Warren Weber wrweber at hufta.net
Tue Jun 5 23:35:30 EDT 2007

I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got it
when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again) and I
want to load 10.2 on it.  The system is a Dell Dimension 8200 with XP
Home currently running on it.

When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS can
not boot from this CD."  I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
results.  Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and upgraded
from A05 to A09.  Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same result.

After some Googling, I found this page
http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD that
directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
it, then select the CD to boot from.  I used rawwritewin to make the
floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system.  When I tried to
boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
system with a black screen.

FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
have CD 1 in there.

I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks!
Warren

--

I know there’s money in horses. I put it there!

Warren Weber
wrweber at hufta.net
http://www.hufta.net