[TriLUG] FTA -- Probably OT, but...

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jun 6 14:58:42 EDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Brian McCullough wrote:

> To make a long story longer, in the past I have owned a "big" dish (
> C-band )

I'm a ham radio operator with a little experience in this
area. It might be easier to talk about this over the phone.
I'm at home this afternoon/evening (wed) if you want to give
me a call.

It would help if you had the diameter of the various dishes
and the frequencies they were designed to operate, the
focal lengths (how far the receiver is from the dish) and
the aperture of the horns on the receivers, all to within
25-50%.

Aiming is important. Unless you can get az/el to within a
couple of degrees, you won't find the bird. Have you set up
one of these from scratch with accurate levels? Do you know
how to compensate for the squint angle? Is all the mounting
hardware for the receiver and dish rock solid so that the
signal will return to normal when you give it a good thump
(or the wind blows)?

The receivers usually have cheap lossy coax, with
F-connectors, which give erratic connection and should not
be used outdoors (or anywhere). You will go crazy trying to
find a bird with the errratic connection you get with this
hardware. I suggest changing these to BNC/TNC first chance
you get.

Do you have anything working right now as far as getting a
signal and detecting changes in signal that respond to
aiming (even if you don't have authorisation to descramble
it, and even if it isn't the bird you finally want)?

Durham (919)-401-2047

Joe