[TriLUG] VOIP Providers

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 13:27:33 EDT 2007

Moral of the story...never ever move back to Bellsouth. We are in the process of getting off of our Nortel BCM400 that we pay BS $2000/yr. to *ahem* "support". Of course, when I actually needed support, they immediately found 5 different reasons why they couldn't do it today, next week, or even next month. They finally closed the ticket without even letting me know. IF they were to actually try to fix my issue, they assured me, I would need to pay an hourly rate to have the system upgraded to the latest version (about a six-hour process on average they said), throw away my current Juniper Firewall/VPN router because they only supported a specific Cisco VPN router, and pay for "Professional Services" to come out and set up our little BCM400 to do VOIP calls over a VPN. Hhmmm....

Oh, ok, so I guess if I just add a static route to the BCM so it knows where to send the voice packets over the VPN then I can bypass that $5,000 bill then? Gee folks, thanks for nothing.

So we're now in the process of trading our proprietary Nortel PBX equipment for a non-proprietary full-VOIP solution that will cost less, add more functionality, requires no maintenance...AND we'll get a 4.5Mb MPLS for $500/mo. LESS than what we're currently paying for a dual T1 Frame Relay. Thanks Bellsouth! :)

Kevin

Have you F/LOSSed today?