[TriLUG] [OT] Apologies in advance

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat Jun 9 21:46:35 EDT 2007

Brian Henning wrote:
> For work reasons I need an out-of-office auto reply for my absence next
> week.  I'm trying to suspend my TriLUG subscription, but the website
> doesn't want to load.  I apologize in advance if any autoresponses from
> me come to the list.

Hi Brian,

I suppose you may not receive this message, but the proper way to avoid
this is to set up the auto-responder so it only replies when your email
address is listed in the 'To:' field.  This won't occur with list emails
like the TriLUG list.  It also helps avoid replies to spam messages
which often don't have "To:" filled in correctly.  Most auto-responders
built into modern email software work this way, except for Novell
Groupwise which is the standard "bad citizen" in these waters (Microsoft
has gotten it right for years, surprisingly).

I think the web site not loading was due to a DNS problem, according to
traffic on the IRC channel (it appears to be corrected now).  It would
be nice if these problems were reported here on the discussion list from
time to time, if anything just to provide useful insight for beginner
and intermediate system administrators here who may learn from reading
about about a troubleshooting process.

--Jeremy