[TriLUG] OT: TIME WARNER ANNOUNCES INTRODUCTION OF PACKET SHAPING TECHNOLOGY NATIONWIDE

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Mon Jun 11 08:53:43 EDT 2007

...read on past this article for my 2c.

TIME WARNER ANNOUNCES INTRODUCTION OF PACKET SHAPING TECHNOLOGY
NATIONWIDE

June 6, 2007 -- Time Warner today implemented a network management tool
to improve the operation of the network for all subscribers. As a
result, a small minority of users may experience slower speeds during
peak hours when using certain applications that consume lots of
bandwidth. You can address this situation by reducing your use of
bandwidth-intensive applications during peak hours. "Peak hours" are
generally in the evenings.

"Packet shaping" technology has been implemented for newsgroup
applications, regardless of the provider, and all peer-to-peer networks
and certain other high bandwidth applications not necessarily limited to
audio, video, and voice over IP telephony. Road Runner reserves the
right to implement network management tools for other applications in
the future.

Customers are reminded of the terms of our Acceptable Use Policy at
>help.rr.com/aup:

* The Road Runner service may not be used to engage in any conduct that
interferes with Road Runner's ability to provide service to others,
including the use of excessive bandwidth.

* The Road Runner service may not be used to breach or attempt to breach
the security, the computer, the software or the data of any person or
entity, including Road Runner, to circumvent the user authentication
features or security of any host, network or account, to use or
distribute tools designed to compromise security, or to interfere with
another's use of the Road Runner service through the posting or
transmitting of a virus or other harmful item or to deliberately
overload or flood that entity's system.

Customers are further advised that efforts designed to circumvent our
network management tools may be in violation of our Acceptable Use
Policy and may result in account suspension without warning.

====================

2c.

I don't agree with this for so many reasons ...and really wish we could
choose between cable providers. I'd even be willing to pay MORE ...if I
could get something like OOL (Optimum Online, for all my non
north-eastern bretheren), or FIOS.

But nooooo, the man's sticking it to me ...and I'm forced into Time
Warner (if I want a broadband connection). I have their 8mb service
(Premium), and after this month will be dropping it. Its not worth it. I
hardly ever get the speeds they advertise (even if I'm on during
non-peak hours), and my upload speeds are heavily throttled (25-50kbps)
at best.

Anyone else feel like this?

/me equips Tin-Foil Hat +1

...what's to say they don't:

- Change "Peak Hours" to be from 5am - 9am, and 5pm - 10pm M-F; 9am -
12pm and 5pm - 12am S-S?
- Force users who use "encryption" aka, IPSEC, SSL+TLS ftp's, or some
other form of encryption into switcing over to their "business" service,
because home service should only be for surfing the web.