[TriLUG] OT: solar wireless mesh router

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:15:13 EDT 2007

You're serious?  A T1?  Playa, please.  1.5Mbps of shared bandwidth is a
joke.  Even with TWC on a bad day you still get more than that, and you
don't have to worry about the fools in your HOA.  No, this has to be DS3 or
better <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths> to serve any
more than 4-5 houses.  And then you'd be responsible for collecting money
from everybody, much the same way you did with paying the electric bill,
water, or phone bill back in college.  Remember that?  No thank you.  Oh,
and you'd also be responsible for security, and making sure that
wardrivers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_driving>weren't out there
using your wireless to surf kiddie pr0n, and the
neighbors' kids weren't trying to hack Facebook to change some other kid's
profile into a solicitation for gay swingers.

I'm actually trying to put some humor into this, but the bottom line is that
I doubt you'll get the buy-in from your neighbors without a significantly
fat pipe which will probably put the price tag out of reach, and you REALLY
don't want the support and maintenance aggrevation.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer