[TriLUG] SuSE Install on Dell Dimension 8200 - Won't Read CD

Warren Weber wrweber at hufta.net
Tue Jun 12 17:42:19 EDT 2007

On 7 Jun 2007 at 9:53, Warren Weber wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2007 at 23:35, Warren Weber wrote:
>
> > I re-inherited a system from my teenager (originally mine, she got
> > it when I upgraded, I got it back when the upgrade cycle hit again)
> > and I want to load 10.2 on it.  The system is a Dell Dimension 8200
> > with XP Home currently running on it.
> >
> > When I tried to boot CD 1, I got this message -- "Sorry, your BIOS
> > can not boot from this CD."  I tried CD 1 from 10.1 and got the same
> > results.  Checked the Dell web site for BIOS information and
> > upgraded from A05 to A09.  Tried 10.2 and 10.1 again with same
> > result.
> >
> > After some Googling, I found this page
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD that
> > directed me to make a floppy with the Smart Boot Manager on it, boot
> > it, then select the CD to boot from.  I used rawwritewin to make the
> > floppy since I was not in reach of a Linux system.  When I tried to
> > boot off the floppy, it briefly accessed the drive then hung the
> > system with a black screen.
> >
> > FWIW -- when in Windows, it does see the contents of the CD when I
> > have CD 1 in there.
> >
> > I called Dell and got the support one would expect -- none.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Suggestions?
> >

> OK, this is getting odder.  I pulled down the latest Knoppix and was
> able to successfully boot this machine off that CD.

Alllll righty then ..... Remember the old saw "Never attribute to malice what can be
adequately explained by stupidity"?  Looks like I mis-labeled the CDs when I burnt
them.  <blush>  I read an article that mentioned trying to boot off CD2, so when I
tried it, it worked.  Looking at the contents, I realized the disk was actually CD1.  And
-- go figure -- the one I had labeled as CD1 was really CD2.  <sigh>

It's sooo hard to find good help these days ...
Warren

--

I know there’s money in horses. I put it there!

Warren Weber
wrweber at hufta.net
http://www.hufta.net