[TriLUG] making Linux look like Windows XP

jbrigman at nc.rr.com jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 13 11:38:54 EDT 2007

As Cristobal knows, Tim is correct, the required laptops at UNC are
distributed with a WinXP image. (I don't think they've gone to Vista yet...)

It's not a pretty sight: the kids go back to the IT department with
problems and they simply reinstall the image from ground zero. It's a
nuclear bomb to kill mosquitoes, but it does work.

My son at UNC-CH has suffered through four of those re-installs in two
years, usually because of virii or malware that gets on to his laptop.
He's already asked me to roll a Linux box for him to use on the network,
to avoid this problem, so he can reserve his laptop only for classwork.

JKB