[TriLUG] making Linux look like Windows XP

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Wed Jun 13 12:02:07 EDT 2007

jbrigman at nc.rr.com wrote:
> As Cristobal knows, Tim is correct, the required laptops at UNC are
> distributed with a WinXP image. (I don't think they've gone to Vista yet...)
>
> It's not a pretty sight: the kids go back to the IT department with
> problems and they simply reinstall the image from ground zero. It's a
> nuclear bomb to kill mosquitoes, but it does work.
>
> My son at UNC-CH has suffered through four of those re-installs in two
> years, usually because of virii or malware that gets on to his laptop.
> He's already asked me to roll a Linux box for him to use on the network,
> to avoid this problem, so he can reserve his laptop only for classwork.
>
> JKB

This got me thinking about how we do laptop lending at NC State
Libraries.  We lend Mac and PC laptops that dual boot Windows and Realm,
our Red Hat distribution.  We'll we did until recently, I guess.  I
don't see it there now.
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/laptoplending/laptopinfo.html

I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I never figured out how to install
Realm.  Of course, I wasn't very motivated since I'm not partial to Red
Hat or central administration.  http://linux.ncsu.edu/realm_linux/

Jim

---Jim Tuttle