[TriLUG] Suggested topics

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:16:16 EDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > any topics folks are interested in for the main meeting?
>
> PAM, Pluggable Authentication Modules.
> Maybe combined with LDAP, directory services.

I'll second that.  What I'd really like is an overview of the different
authentication mechanisms, APIs, etc.
for Linux/Unix, how the relate to each other, how to choose one over the
other, when to use them in
concert with each other, how they work with applications, etc.

I'm still fuzzy on the details of the huge array of acronyms and buzzwords
related to authentication (and maybe authorization to a lesser degree).
Kerberos, LDAP, SASL, PAM, GSSAPI, NIS, NIS+
, etc., etc.  What is all this crap and how does it all work? :-)

TTYL,

Phil