[TriLUG] If you were given the choice between using drupal and plone, which one would you pick?

Allen Freeman knieveltech at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 04:21:55 EDT 2007

I can't really speak to plone having never used it, however I definitely heart drupal. A while back, knowing absolutely nothing about how Drupal works and only ocassionally referring to documentation I was able to get drupal installed and enough features for an involved community website (user login/permissions, file upload, forums, comments, ratings, etc) online in a couple of hours. The documentation isn't always organized well but it's usually very verbose and well-written. Modules are available for more stuff than you can shake a stick at, and if you can't find what you want there's top notch howto docs that will walk you step by step through the module building process. The taxonomy system can be a little weird at first but once you've wrapped your head around that it's more or less a cakewalk.

-Allen Freeman

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote: I'm very familiar with vbulletin, phpnuke, postnuke ...etc. I'm
designing a new site (for home use), some thing tabby, possibly a site
for me, and a site for a friend or two.

I was thinking plone, but I've had a lot of people say go with drupal.

I'd rather not have people post comments (wiki-like), just be presented
with what I want them.

So, which one would you choose?

I am running Gentoo (latest), btw.