[TriLUG] mysql syntax for ambiguous file name, please

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sat Jun 16 17:32:16 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 05:05:28PM -0400, Michael Rulison wrote:
> I want to do the following query, but it fails:
>
> alter table jos_* rename to j_fca_*;
>
> but the '*' is not accepted (inside, outside of quotes (double or single);

The wild card match character in SQL is "%".  However, and I am
searching the MySQL manual to confirm its usage, most versions of SQL
distinguish between Data Definition statements, such as you are using,
and Data Manipulation statements, such as SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE.
Most RDBMS ( database engines ) do not allow wild cards in Data
Definition statements.

Brian