[TriLUG] Remote access

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 10:28:51 EDT 2007

I put a "give me the text in this image" validation for most all of our
external pages that require registration.  We were having a hell of a time
with message board posts that had ads for sex sites etc but that's
practically gone.  We've even gone so far as to add it to most "contact us"
forms as they were getting spammed too.

Most of ours are in PHP, but it couild be done in any language with a bit of
imagemagick...well magic, you can merge a background with a text string.
obviously this won't do jack for the manual spammers..but most bots aren't
sophisticated enough to OCR the text.

Steve