[TriLUG] AJAX [Fwd: [Juglist] !!!REMINDER!!!]

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 11:29:16 EDT 2007

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Boy, this makes me thankful that TriLUG is able to provide
> its meetings at no cost, including the pizza and drinks and
> also provide free membership.
>
> Andy, out of curiosity, what does this do to their attendence?
> I would tend to think it would depress it.

Not Andy, but I'll share my observations:  The JUG has charged
as long as I've been involved, and the attendance has - at times -
rivaled that of Tri-LUG.  I've definitely seen JUG meetings with 50, 60+
people in attendance in the past.

That said, attendance at the JUG seems to be off the highs
we saw in 2000, 2001, etc., for whatever reason.  I think
that might just be because Java isn't as "sexy" or "trendy" now
as it was then.  Right now I'd say the JUG is - on average - pulling
fewer attendees than Tri-LUG, but as with any xUG, it varies depending
on the topic and speaker.

There was some discussion amongst the board a year or so ago, about
dropping the fees altogether, but I guess they're either still debating
the issue or decided against it.

TTYL,

Phil
--