[TriLUG] opening port 6667 on Feisty

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:59:42 EDT 2007

Starting Nmap 4.20 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2007-06-19 11:57 EDT
Interesting ports on dhcp-010-010-002-060.nc.opsware.com (10.10.2.60):
Not shown: 1692 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp   open  ssh     OpenSSH 4.3p2 Debian 8ubuntu1 (protocol 2.0)
25/tcp   open  smtp    Postfix smtpd
111/tcp  open  rpcbind  2 (rpc #100000)
673/tcp  open  mountd   1-2 (rpc #100005)
2049/tcp open  nfs      2 (rpc #100003)
Service Info: Host:  scabbard; OS: Linux

Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at
http://insecure.org/nmap/submit/ .
Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 11.245 seconds

(from another host on the same network)

WMM

On 6/19/07, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > And Alan: I got the same 'blank' results from iptables, so it looks like
> > it's not running.
> >

> Just a point of clarification, for those who have not messed with Linux
> firewalls...
>
> Iptables is a kernel filter that is built into the TCP/IP stack.  If the
> modules are loaded, then each packet has to run the gauntlet of filters
> in the kernel.  There is no "firewall program" that filters packets.
> The firewall program (be is shorewall or my home-brew script) simply
> sets up the iptables rules and then exits.
>
> This is kind of a weird thing to get used to when you're first testing
> out your firewall.  Shorewall is not running, so you can't kill it.
> "service shorewall stop" does not kill a process, it just issues some
> more iptables rules that'll let more packets pass through.
>
> Now, back to our discussion about getting the IRC server to work...
>
> Alan
>

> .

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2