[TriLUG] Promoting FLOSS, countering FUD

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 14:09:59 EDT 2007

I agree with Cristobal (how do you get the little mark over the "o", btw?) on this. M$ is going to continue to pressure businesses large and small until it becomes clear that it is no longer benefitting them to do so. The education and non-profit sectors are key to Linux adoption in the US, IMO. Such groups are just enough under the M$ radar (financially and competitively) that it's possible to completely replace Windoze infrastructure with very little risk of being sued by the evil empire (imagine the beating M$ would take in the US press for suing a non-profit or school...though they have definitely tried elsewhere: http://www.linpro.no/en/nyheter_og_events/2007/linpro_vant_frem_mot_microsoft).

Getting ordinary users to realize the potential of Linux and FOSS is the key. Until people know what they are missing, they aren't missing anything...and, more importantly, won't care. 2008 will be a turning point for LoTD by all accounts, but I really think that now is the time to begin creating activities to strongly promote Linux and FOSS in the local community. I hate to plug the UCLUG FOSS Presentation again, but I've updated the presentation slightly (and added our brand spanking new UCLUG logo towards the end:), and here is the url to view it online: http://www.thinkfree.com/view.tfo?file=EVBK787cyig=tfo. Btw, we just gave our first "official" distribution of "FLPCs" to a church group in the area who is giving them to some underprivileged kids in their summer youth camp. When people see what is possible with Linux, on older hardware particularly, they are more apt to explore it as an alternative.

Just like the environmental issue, it's impossible to change an incumbent (and massively funded) technology from the top, it has to come from the ground up.

Just my .02 anyway.

Kevin