[TriLUG] Generational differences in Free/Open Source Software

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Tue Jun 19 16:22:29 EDT 2007

As a supposed Xer, how do you explain that I started out rather strongly
in the supposed "pragmatist" camp and as I get older I fall farther and
farther in the supposedly idealist camp..  In some ways I'm in a more
idealistic camp than Stallman as I believe open source/free software
should be designed/developed openly and not just licensed openly.  We
can come up with some paradigm to fit around this or we can just say
that I wanted software that was easy to use w/o controversy in my day
job and then as I gained more experience I realized that some people
(especially VC backed companies) are playing games with "Free" and
"Open" to mean something very different.  In the short term I wanted
software that I could use and potentially contribute to without
controversy from my employer, and figured everyone else would do the
same and play nice.  Now I think having some level of structure to where
everyone pursues their economic interests and they don't interfere with
maintaining the freedom and openess of the source.  One way to
contribute to that aim is by licensing off their opportunities to do
that and using trademarks and the legal system to ensure they can't play
with verbiages.  I may not have "approached" it from this "third way"ist
communitarian thought system, but am arriving there day by day.

I still have no desire to sit in a circle and sing the free software
song...I don't see that changing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw

-Andy

PS anyone else think that YouTube is an ironic place for that?

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org