[TriLUG] having trouble getting wpa setup

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Jun 24 19:42:07 EDT 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Kevin J. wrote:

> I run Kubuntu on my laptop and it picks up every wireless
> network/protocol it comes in contact with. Your only
> limitation might be in the driver for your wireless card.

the "might" is the problem :-)

> If you're not running *ubuntu you may want to try a live
> cd of any one of them and give it a try first.

Ah that's one way of finding if my cards work. Presumably I
can watch the logs too.

> If it picks up your card and a WPA(2) network then you're
> probably good to go.

don't have any wpa networks around, which is another
problem.

> I have a a/b/g card built-in so I'm not sure about the "b"
> aspect being an issue, but as a/b/g are layer 1
> technology, I don't think it would make any difference as
> most APs talk to all three.

ahem, my bad, you're correct - the link layer isn't the
problem. It's just that the b cards, being older, don't scan
(or something like that, I remember sending them some
command with maybe iwconfig and I got an error that it
wasn't supported). I notice in the logs lots of things (like
SCAN) that aren't working, and I don't know if it's the card
or I've set it all up wrong.

Will go plug in a live CD (or two)

Thanks

Joe