[TriLUG] having trouble getting wpa setup

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jun 25 13:21:39 EDT 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, Nick Goldwater wrote:

> auto ath0
> iface ath0 inet dhcp
> pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dnadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
> post-down killall -q qpa_supplicant
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> auto eth0
>
> laptop:~# lsmod | grep wlan
> wlan_wep                7040  1
> wlan_scan_sta          13696  1
> wlan                  203076  5 wlan_wep,wlan_scan_sta,ath_rate_sample,ath_pci

bought a madwifi supported card from Intrex this morning
(TP-LINK TL-WN510G), $29.99 (a bargain compared to the
prices I paid for my b cards 4 years ago) and compiled up
madwifi

I have the wlan modules above loaded (and a bunch of others)
but except for the wlan module, none are used (counter=0)

I can

ifconfig ath0 up

and list it with

ifconfig ath0

but dhcpcd doesn't recognise ath0. When run from the command
line with something like

dhcpcd -d -i ath0 -t 60 -h $HOSTNAME

I get

dhcpcd dhcpStart ioctl SIOGIFHWADDR: No such device

in the logs (and dhcpcd just exits with returncode=1)

your line above of
pre-up wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dnadwifi
                            ^^^^^^^^

(I assume that's madwifi, not nadwifi) says "madwifi - no
such module" (or similar), so I tried -Dwext which ran.

While I can pick up the SSID and can associate (as for last
night with my b cards), I still can't dhcp (not surprising,
since ath0 is not recognised).

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joe