[TriLUG] Open Mail Relay - What Happened?

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Thu Jun 28 00:23:22 EDT 2007

So I'm running postfix on Gentoo, and have been doing so happily since
about November.  Until today I got a rejection for relayed mail notice
from Road Runner.  I read on their site that this happens when your IP
address sends more than 1000 e-mails in 24 hours.  My first thought was
my windows-using roommates, but then I checked my e-mail server from the
outside and indeed it was open.  This is weird though, because I believe
I have it configured for authenticated users only.  I even tried setting
it to only allow connections from this host, and still it happily
accepts connections from outside and tries to relay those e-mails to
other domains (of course, I would expect it to accept mail for
electronsweatshop.com.)  Here are some settings in /etc/postfix/main.cf
that I think are relevant, anybody have any comments/criticisms/suggestions?

myorigin = $myhostname
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain
mynetworks_style = subnet # I tried setting to host to see if that would
                           # solve the problem (nope)
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
# I've tried the following also adding
reject_unauth_destination,reject_unknown_client, but that didn't solve
the problem either
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
relayhost = smtp-server.carolina.rr.com
# I actually have several domains listed here.  Does anyone know how to
get it to allow me to relay to all domains once I have properly
authenticated?
relay_domains = bunchofdomains.com
smtpd_tls_security_level = may

I fully appreciate any help anyone can offer.  I made this setup just by
following some guides I found here and there online, and don't really
have a good grasp on the 6 volume manual that is postfix docs :)

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people
for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him
who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were
not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received
mercy, but now you have received mercy. ~1 Peter 2:9-10