[TriLUG] Fraud in the job market

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 29 09:33:48 EDT 2007

Andrew Perrin wrote:
> A highly-skilled programmer friend Of a Certain Age (tm) who has had lots
> of trouble finding work sent me the link below, which is to a YouTube
> video that, on its face, is quite disturbing. I take no official position
> on the issue, but suspect it will be of interest to TriLUG members and so
> pass it along.
>
> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17909.htm

It's kind of staggering to consider all of the lies this video exposes.
   It needs to jump out of yotube and get on the front pages of
newspapers, on news programs, and on congressional legislation.

The news reports I've read about the need for H1Bs have industry reps
telling me that our complaints are all sour grapes.  That the economy is
doing great, and there are as many tech jobs now as there were during
the dot com boom in the nineties.  Huge numbers of jobs are just sitting
empty, waiting for tech experts to fill them.  Well now we know exactly
*why*.

American workers feel threatened, it shows up in polls all the time.
The US middle class created by the tech industry is all but gone, we
have an "L" curve (http://www.lcurve.org/) instead.  College age kids
are opting out of tech degrees for more stable, promising careers.

We need to take a microscope to the legislation that makes it more
profitable to send our jobs out of the country - or bring foreign
workers here, than it is to hire our own expertise.

I encourage everyone to think carefully and vote in the 2008 elections
with this in mind.

--
Scott C.