[TriLUG] Moving beyond pine

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Fri Jun 29 14:28:06 EDT 2007

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Andrew Perrin wrote:
>> All right folks, this is an advice request.
>>
>> I've been using pine for email since about 1992. I like certain things
>> about it, but frankly I prefer GUI-ish mail interfaces such as
>> thunderbird. What's holding me back are two minor but irritating, related
>> issues:
>>
>> 1. I like pine's saved folder rule that puts outgoing email, by default,
>> in a folder named after the recipient's email address (stripped of
>> domain). This is very intuitive to me, and lets me quickly grep for
>> whatever I need. I haven't seen other clients do this.
>
> This is cool and I didn't realize pine had such a feature... how do you
> enable this?  When I press "s" in pine it always defaults to
> "saved-messages" .  I may have to move back to pine, from Thunderbird :-)
>
> (Actually what I do right now is use a combination... Thunderbird
> normally, but pine when I'm already in a screen window and don't feel
> like firing up the GUI, or for when I'm not on my PC.)
>
> --Jeremy

>From my .pinerc:

# Determines default folder name for Saves...
# Choices: default-folder, by-sender, by-from, by-recipient, last-folder-used.
# Default: "default-folder", i.e. "saved-messages" (Unix) or "SAVEMAIL" (PC).
saved-msg-name-rule=by-from

# Determines default name for Fcc...
# Choices: default-fcc, by-recipient, last-fcc-used.
# Default: "default-fcc" (see also "default-fcc=" variable.)
fcc-name-rule=by-recipient

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA