[TriLUG] Triangle Open Source Lab comments on June 2007 Meeting

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sat Jun 30 09:10:00 EDT 2007

Dear Fellow Linux Users,

Thank you to the folks that participated in our last meeting.  Shawn Taylor facilitated the meeting and is one of the administrators for the group (thanks, Shawn!).  We had 11 folks visit that included several teachers and travelers from Greensboro and Roanoke Rapids as well as elsewhere.  Michael Rulison posted notes on our web site (thanks, Michael!):

http://www.triangleopensource.org

Here is our public IP for video broadcast for our last meeting:
216.136.12.7
Virtual attendees were able to pull up the following web site to check out the meeting in real time:
http://216.136.12.7

We may or may not have that same IP for our next meeting.

The username and password for the http-based Video over IP is guest.  I do not have the heart to inform an open source group that you had better use Microsoft Internet Explorer and the little ActiveX thingie if you want audio and video.  The Unbuntu screen did not show up on camera with enough clarity for my tired old eyes and the eyes of Jason Welsch who viewed remotely (thanks, Jason!).  He said the lower resolution installation screens were intelligible, though.

So, that leads to the next step.  Who wants to volunteer to come up with a way to share the screen and to actually do it?  Remote distance learning is as much of a charter for me as the open source software.  Back when we had the RHCE study group at my house before my children came along and we got the boot, Rock and Brad had this VNC/http thing happening.  Me thinks that'll be a better alternative than my little Axis camera shooting a large projection screen.  The Axis camera works great for audio/video of the people yet doesn't work so hot with the projector screen.

I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting and might be able to bring in a VoIP line for folks that want to call in with questions or answers.

We decide on topic based on group consensus of the folks that attend.  We will try in the future to implement a formal lab format (good ole title, goal and procedure) for a specific project that we carry through to completion such that all attendees possess the intellectual property necessary to perform the procedure.  Let me know if you want to get involved.  An existing poll for potential topics is on our web site:

http://www.triangleopensource.org/index.php?option=com_poll&task=results&id=15

It would be nice to have an online discussion regarding topic so we know in advance what we plan to do and make arrangements to have the proper equipment and volunteers to lead the discussion lab.  Create an account from the front page of the web site to post your view (all folks are configured as Joomla authors by default):

http://www.triangleopensource.org

Triangle Open Source Lab http://www.triangleopensource.org normally meets on 4th Thursday evenings from 7 PM to 9 PM at Exploris in the room adjacent to the IMAX theater.  Meetings are open to the general public and are free yet require registration by calling Jim at 838-1672 or sending email to jim at neuse.net so we can plan accordingly.  Many thanks to Tim Hazlehurst at Exploris for hosting our meeting.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Networks
tel: 919-838-1672 cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Connecting You to the World since 1997

PS Here's the info on Exploris:
Exploris
201 E Hargett St
Raleigh NC 27601
Web Site: http://www.exploris.org

Please sign up for the Triangle Open Source Lab discussion list in addition to the blog (register for blog on front page of web site):