[TriLUG] Paypal

Shawn Hartsock hartsock at acm.org
Thu Jul 5 10:06:15 EDT 2007

I don't know Paypal's SDK but I did have a similar problem with
Authorize.NET a great many years back and IIRC I found the difference
in the CGI environment and Shell environment by using the command line
CGI tools and throwing trace everywhere.

I ran the script with test account data from command line and from CGI
(inside apache) with copious amounts of trace then pruned back the
trace... printing to standard error... sometimes this works better for
people than debugging in a debugger because it tends to follow a
different mental flow which works better for them. Think of it as more
iterative.

http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/CGI.pm/CGI.html#DEBUGGING

If you do a fair amount of Perl programming or hacking I strongly
advise you learn to use Data::Dumper, caller and call depth, the
various incarnations of Carp, and the %SIG to overload $SIG{'__DIE__'}
which has allowed me to get dies out to AJAX land so my javascript
applications can be informed about CGI death... amongst other things.

... and watch for detached closures in your mod_perl...

Obviously, without any trace, output from the crash, or any idea of
how your program works I can't offer any better advice. Good luck.

--Shawn