[TriLUG] DVD Editing in Linux

Shawn Hartsock hartsock at acm.org
Tue Jul 10 09:18:32 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:
> Ok, so I'd like to start editing my Home DVD's in Linux. Why? Cause I
> want to. :D
>
> With that said, anyone have any suggested hardware for getting data from
> VHS/Hi8/MiniDV (currently, I have the cables that came with my camera's)
> and software for editing?

I use this at home for video editing in Linux... I've produced a grand
total of 1 dvd...

Hardware:
* Firewire card
* Firewire miniDV camcorder
* DVD+/-R burner

Software:
* kino - for capture
* kdenlive - for edits
* dvdauthor - for making the dvd

Obviously there are a lot of dependencies underneath those three
software packages.

If firewire doesn't work out for you I've found that the hauppauge
cards are easy to set up and you capture from them by using this
command:

$ cat /dev/video0 > ~/caputure.mpg

Hauppauge cards are nice because they produce mpeg2 video in card
without using your CPU. There are also other brands that do the same
thing but I haven't used them. I also advise against video on USB I've
had trouble with that.

--
-- Shawn Hartsock -- http://hartsock.blogspot.com/