[TriLUG] Fwd: mail relay through trilug.org?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 11:12:55 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Alan Porter <porter at trilug.org> wrote:

> > How is this going to help with port 25 filtering problem?  What am I
> > missing?
> >

> I would connect to port 993 of mail.trilug.org and then let it relay the
> mail to the final recipient.

Connecting to port 993 wouldn't help you a whole lot here.  Port 993
is the IMAP over SSL port and that does NOT take incoming mail.
It's absolutely useless for what you propose.

The ports you're concerned with are the following:

Port 25 - Standard mail port.  Accepts STARTTLS command to start SSL and
  then, and ONLY then will it let you log in using SMTP AUTH and only then
  will it let you relay.

Port 465 - SMTP over SSL port.  This port is always encrypted.  It will let you
  log in using SMTP AUTH and only then will it let you relay.

Port 587 - (See RFC2476).  This is the mail submission port.  It only takes
  incoming mail from mail clients, not mail servers. (I believe)  You must
  first do STARTTLS to encrypt the channel, then SMTP AUTH to log in
  and only then will it let you relay mail.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace