[TriLUG] Fwd: mail relay through trilug.org?

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Tue Jul 10 14:35:22 EDT 2007

Scott Lambdin wrote:
> The Helo/Eloh chit chat.  If you look at the actual interchange, it looks
> the same whether the connecting machine is a client or a server or even a
> human typing commands in a terminal.
>
> It never says by the way I am a pine session so treat me like a punk.

The server can, however, distinguish between a source e-mail address
that it is authoritative for and one that it does not "own". For
example, mail.trilug.org could potentially be configured to only relay
mail originating from a @trilug.org address. Therefore, a Mail
Submission Agent might only accept mails it is authoritative for, while
a Mail Transport Agent would relay any messages from a source it deems
trustworthy.