[TriLUG] [Trilug-announce] Meeting Reminder: July 12 2007

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 23:32:34 EDT 2007

I don't think it's a practice of the FSF to sue anyone actually.

According to Eben Moglen (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/enforcing-gpl.html):

"
So what happens when the GPL is violated?  With software for which the
Free Software Foundation holds the copyright (either because we wrote
the programs in the first place, or because free software authors have
assigned us the copyright, in order to take advantage of our expertise
in protecting their software's
freedom), the first step is a
report, usually received by email
to <license-violation at gnu.org>. We ask the reporters of
violations to help us establish necessary facts, and then we
conduct whatever further investigation is required.

We reach this stage dozens of times a year.  A quiet initial contact is
usually sufficient to resolve the problem.  Parties thought they were
complying with GPL, and are pleased to follow advice on the correction of
an error.  Sometimes, however, we believe that confidence-building
measures will be required, because the scale of the violation or its
persistence in time makes mere voluntary compliance insufficient.  In such
situations we work with organizations to establish GPL-compliance programs
within their enterprises, led by senior managers who report to us, and
directly to their enterprises' managing boards, regularly.  In
particularly complex cases, we have sometimes insisted upon measures that
would make subsequent judicial enforcement simple and rapid in the event
of future violation.

In approximately a decade of enforcing the GPL, I have never insisted on
payment of damages to the Foundation for violation of the license, and I
have rarely required public admission of wrongdoing.  Our position has
always been that compliance with the license, and security for future good
behavior, are the most important goals.  We have done everything to make
it easy for violators to comply, and we have offered oblivion with respect
to past faults."