[TriLUG] Centos command line question

Mike Norwood norwoodm at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 12:06:05 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have a bit of command line weirdness that I wondered if anyone else
could verify for me.  I have a machine we just loaded with Centos 5.0 and
from the console it appears that the setterm command will not turn on bold
lettering as in "setterm -bold on".  This command does not change
anything, but SHOULD make the text appear bright and shiny (bolder). I did
check the linux terminfo with infocmp and it looks to have the same entry
for bold as other machines that do work.

I only have this problem directly on the command line console. From a
terminal window I can use this command and it will change the text and
also if I ssh in from another machine it will work.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, Mike N.