[TriLUG] wireless configuration problem

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Sun Jul 22 15:36:52 EDT 2007

I ditched windows on my dell inspiron 8100 laptop and installed ubuntu
desktop 7.04. I have a Proxim Orinoco silver 802.11b model 8421-WD
pcmcia card. cardctl ident gives

"Agere Systems", "Wireless PC Card Model 0110", "", ""
manfid: 0x0156, 0x0003
function: 6 (network)

ifconfig -a only shows the lo0 and eth0 (the built-in ethernet) interfaces.

I am totally clueless how to proceed from here on making the card work
with linux. I have spent several hours with google and turned nothing
that made any sense to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wouldn't
be averse to buying a new card if necessary.

Thanks.
glenn

--
Glenn Hennessee