[TriLUG] Password Security

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 13:46:55 EDT 2007

so, security through obscurity - and a [necessarily] shared password?

On 7/23/07, Jason Faulkner <jason at oldos.org> wrote:

> We use encfs. Gives us a few layers of security:
>
> 1) You have to know where it is (i.e. what server).
>
> 2) When you know where it is, you have to have root login to the server
>
> 3) When you're on the server, you have to know how to mount it
>
> 4) In order to mount it, you're required to type one password (easy to
> change)
>
> It's been working well for us.
>
> --Jay
>
> On 7/23/07, Ron Joffe <rjoffe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > So this is one of those age old questions, but it seems to keep coming
> back:
> >
> > How do you store your passwords ?
> >
> > We can't seem to keep track of all of the passwords in our heads. We had
> > little discussion here with our group of developers and came up with
> this
> > list, I am looking for additional ideas, comments, suggestions, etc.
> >
> >  - Sticky Notes on the monitor
> >  - Piece of loose paper
> >  - Spreadsheet
> >  - Email Folders
> >  - PDA / Phone
> >  - Little Black Book
> >  - Google Docs
> >  - Password Encrypted Flat File
> >  - kWallet
> >  - Revelation
> >  - Encrypted page on a local wiki
> >
> > Now what do you do when you have to keep a list of passwords sync'd
> between a
> > set of support technicians ?
> >
> > What do you think is the best way to keep a long list of
> usernames/passwords,
> > etc. ? When someone needs to give you a password, how do you transfer
> it?
> > Email, IM, Phone, Snail Mail ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ron
> >

> > --

> Jason Faulkner
> http://oldos.org

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2