[TriLUG] Edit Linux distro (livecd) from Windows

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Wed Jul 25 08:05:36 EDT 2007

Got it! Probably an easier way to do this ...but it was by far the fastest (for me).

mkdir /tmp/gentoo/livecd
mount -o loop gentoo-livecd-2007.0.iso /tmp/livecd
mkdir /tmp/gentoo/extract
rsync -ax /tmp/gentoo/livecd /tmp/gentoo/extract
umount /tmp/gentoo/livecd
mkdir /tmp/gentoo/squashfs
mount -t squashfs -o loop /tmp/livecd/image.squashfs /tmp/gentoo/squashfs
mkdir /tmp/gentoo/squashfs_extract
rsync -av /tmp/gentoo/squashfs /tmp/gentoo/squashfs_extract
umount /tmp/gentoo/squashfs

-- this is where you copy what you want into the /tmp/gentoo/squashfs_extract layout.
-- once you're satisfied, rebuild the squashfs filesystem (mksquashfs), and rebuild the iso (mkisofs).

Huzzah! Now I have my Gentoo LiveCD with a few files I inserted. Mission accomplished.

Cristóbal, thanks for pointing me to the Ubuntu LiveCD remastering. It at least started me off in the right direction!