[TriLUG] Linux Notebook / OT: Windows Experience Index

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Sun Aug 5 11:17:38 EDT 2007

Hi all,

You may remember my asking for recommendations on technologies to look
for or avoid in a budget notebook purchase.  You may be interested that
I am opting for one of three Gateway notebooks, all Intel-based (specs
are from www.gateway.com:

MT-6841:  2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo T2450 2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB, Intel
945GM chipset, 2GB Dual-Channel RAM @ 667MHz, Intel GMA 950 video, 160G
5400RPM SATA HD

M-6816:  1.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2MB L2 Cache 667MHz FSB, Intel
965GM chipset, 2GB RAM @ 667MHz, Intel GMA X3100 video, 160G 5400RPM
PATA HD (Best Buy says it's SATA)

M-6817:  1.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2MB L2 Cache 667MHz FSB, Intel
965GM chipset, 2GB RAM @ 667MHz, Intel GMA X3100 video, 250G 4200RPM SATA HD

While in the stores, if a machine wasn't locked down I'd run
Start->Control Panel->Performance Index to get the "Windows Experience
Index".  This is where things get interesting...

MT-6841:
Processor:  4.7
Memory: 4.6
Graphics: 3.1
Gaming Graphics: 3.1
Hard Drive: 4.8

I'd also tested the MT-6840 which is, as far as I can tell, IDENTICAL to
the 6841 except it has only 1GB of RAM (2x512).  I got these WEI numbers:

MT-6840:
Processor:  4.7
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 3.2
Gaming Graphics: 3.1
Hard Drive: 4.7

Notice how the Memory score dips as you would expect in comparison to
the 6841, but the Graphics score actually increases a bit and the Hard
Drive score dips!  Why would this be the case?

Now, on to their newer models...

M-6816:
Processor:  4.6
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 3.4
Gaming Graphics: 3.5
Hard Drive: 4.7

M-6817:
Processor:  4.6
Memory: 4.5
Graphics: 3.4
Gaming Graphics: 3.5
Hard Drive: 5.1

Why would the supposedly slower-spinning hard drive in the 6817 score
significantly higher in the WEI, especially when Gateway suggests it's a
PATA, not SATA, drive?  My suspicions are as follows:
1) Gateway published the 4200RPM figure mistakenly.
2) Gateway intended to install 4200RPM drives but was supplied 5400RPM
drives instead.
Could there be other scenarios I'm not recognizing?

Also note that the M-series Intel Core 2 Duo chip scores a bit lower
than the Core Duo in the MT-series machines!  I suppose that could be
attributed to the difference in clock speed or perhaps that the
installed version of Vista (Home Premium) is only 32-bit software so, in
effect, the Core 2 Duo chip is "behaving" like a Core Duo and the clock
speed difference is accentuated.  In today's general computing world,
how important is 64-bit processing?  Although I generally use just
standard office and internet apps, I am considering doing some digital
music production in the future (think ProTools LE and an Mbox).  I
suspect I'd be fine with the Core Duo.

The Core 2 Duo machines come with improved graphics , faster FSB, and a
faster HD but with lower Processor and RAM WEI scores at a $150
premium.  Oh, and they come with a webcam - the world really wants to
see my ugly visage YouTubed ad nauseum, I'm sure... ;-)     The chassis
is Gateway's new glossy style - looks like a smudge factory waiting to
happen but it IS slightly thinner and lighter than the older Core Duo MT
series.

The Core Duo MT series comes in a slightly heavier/thicker brushed
aluminum style chassis and seems like it might be a bit more robust.
The reviews I've read for this machine are generally positive - the Core
2 Duo M-series is so new the laptop sites haven't reviewed it yet.

Well, I want to make the decision today so here goes...  Understanding
that Linux (currently Mint with Beryl) will be used as much if not more
than Vista on this machine, what recommendations might you make?

Thanks,

Tom Eisenmenger