[TriLUG] TWC latency issues

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:43:36 EDT 2007

I believe the toastnet and other download servers to be gamed (cached). I
regularly get 600K download speed (peak starts around 1.5Mb and then drops
after 10 seconds or so. I very often get 10-20 seconds page load latency.
Install the FF plugin to see how long each page takes to load.

I've looked very hard for an alternative. I tried BellSouth for a few months
but saw zero improvements in upload plus they block SMTP port. Download was
about the same as well. Argh! The next thing I've found (A DSL reseller no
doubt) is $115/month. AT&T's contractor, Team Net, laid fiber down my street
probably for the Uverse service they are rolling out next year but the only
thing they are selling now is a resell of DSL or cable.

    Case in short, this in supposed to be some special high tech center but
the Internet bandwidths and performance are a joke. No fiber to the home as
one would expect. If NC, RTP, or Raleigh want to be known for being
technologically savvy and/or progressive then its time to get off of our
butts and lay some fiber. Due to the good-ole-boy system normally in place
to get permits, one probably needs to partner with the cities. My proposal
is to lay it down in one or two select areas here to show the
state/city/area has some commitment to operating in a modern networking
environment. It's not like we will be breaking any ground here... FTTH is
common elsewhere in the world. I'm tired of being in a technology backwater
WRT networking.

IMO,
TimJowers