[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 10:57:09 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:
> I tend to side with those who think that we should be grown-ups and not
> need to have proper social behavior dictated to us.  I don't want to sound
> like a troll (does that mean I do...?) but do we really want to turn
> TriLUG into a police state?

You're right.  We *should* be grown-ups and not have to have
"proper social behavior dictated to us", but that hasn't worked
recently.  No one is talking about turning TriLUG into a police
state.  The suggestion is simply that we grow up.  And, since
we can't seem to do it on our own, here's a policy.

> If the objective is to keep "notable" members from unsubscribing, then we
> may never succeed.  As I understand it, the recent unsubscriptions
> (JasonF, for example) were from people who didn't like what they perceived
> as off-topic list traffic, not from people being abusive, untoward, or
> otherwise socially disrespectful.  In other words, nothing in the proposed
> CoC addresses what I understand to be the main reason for the
> unsubscriptions.

I disagree that this is simply to keep people of unsubscribing.  The
code of conduct is meant to apply to all interactions within TriLUG.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace