[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 11:33:42 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/13/07, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:
> > I tend to side with those who think that we should be grown-ups and not
> > need to have proper social behavior dictated to us.  I don't want to sound
> > like a troll (does that mean I do...?) but do we really want to turn
> > TriLUG into a police state?
>
> You're right.  We *should* be grown-ups and not have to have
> "proper social behavior dictated to us", but that hasn't worked
> recently.  No one is talking about turning TriLUG into a police
> state.  The suggestion is simply that we grow up.  And, since
> we can't seem to do it on our own, here's a policy.
Tanner, a policy won't make people change.  It, as said earlier, only
gives you a place to point to when people do things that are obviously
unacceptable.  People grow up when leaders stop enabling them (this
not a rock thrown), and call them out on their bad behavior.  Again,
some people (and I really have no idea who you are talking about) will
resist any correction.  In that case it might feel comforting to have
some code to stand behind, but it takes much more strength to simply
call them on their bad behavior in lieu of any written standards.

In short, I believe what is needed is leadership not documents
defining good and acceptable conduct.

Cheers...james

P.S. Just to be sure, this is not an attack on anyone, just giving my
take on something that I feel pretty strongly about.  As an aside,
though, many churches have these codes of conduct for their members;
they don't really work there either.