[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 11:45:05 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tanner, a policy won't make people change.  It, as said earlier, only
> gives you a place to point to when people do things that are obviously
> unacceptable.  People grow up when leaders stop enabling them (this
> not a rock thrown), and call them out on their bad behavior.  Again,
> some people (and I really have no idea who you are talking about) will
> resist any correction.  In that case it might feel comforting to have
> some code to stand behind, but it takes much more strength to simply
> call them on their bad behavior in lieu of any written standards.
>
> In short, I believe what is needed is leadership not documents
> defining good and acceptable conduct.
>
> Cheers...james
>
> P.S. Just to be sure, this is not an attack on anyone, just giving my
> take on something that I feel pretty strongly about.  As an aside,
> though, many churches have these codes of conduct for their members;
> they don't really work there either.

James, I agree that a CoC cannot make anyone change.  However,
what can make people change is when others in the group start
expecting it.  I believe the CoC is a step along this road.  I think
it's not good that we have come to this, but I believe that since we
have reached this, it is better to do it than not.  Not adopting a CoC
will send a message that the status quo is alright, imo.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace