[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon Aug 13 12:01:24 EDT 2007

James Olin Oden wrote:

> Not really.  You can just say, "Your out of line".  You don't need a
> documente to reference.  Repeated infractions can incur banishment, as
> the person clearly doesn't take the health of the community seriously.

But to what rule do you refer as justification for banishment?  I
started a LUG at my alma mater, and we had a rather nasty flame war in
the forums.  Some of the participants in this flamewar were officers of
the organization.  It was so bad I felt justified as the duly elected
president of the organization to shut down the forums for a couple days
to try and get things to cool off.  Rather than everyone take a deep
breath, their ire was immediately directed toward me.  I was informed
that I had no such authority.  I attempted to argue my side based on our
  rather weak constitution and failed.  Realizing I had no ability to
maintain order, I promptly resigned.

This LUG is a very strong group with a long and proud history which I
have been privileged to be a brief part of.  It is only now that we
start to see some cracks.  This is not a sign of total failure, rather a
sign that it's time for a little maintenance.  A chance to patch the
hole *before* it consumes us.

I feel the CoC is a good idea.  It, as others have pointed out, lays out
and reinforces the already existing "gentlemen's agreement" we all
supposedly have.  As such, I fail to see why anyone is opposed to having
it written down.

--
Kevin Otte
SC Vice-Chair 2005-2006