[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:18:12 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:

> I feel the CoC is a good idea.  It, as others have pointed out, lays out
> and reinforces the already existing "gentlemen's agreement" we all
> supposedly have.  As such, I fail to see why anyone is opposed to having
> it written down.

My only real objection to writing it down is that it then becomes a
political issue.  People
get to start quibbling over the exact content of it, the interpretation of
it, and get to
try and use it as a sword to attack people they may disagree with.

My personal opinion is that the best solution is still three part:

A. self-policing.  If somebody says something on the list that $SOMEBODY
thinks
is off-topic or inappropriate, let $SOMEBODY contact the poster (on list or
off) and
ask - respectfully - that they end that line of discussion.   And PLEASE, no
back to that message if it was on-list!  Either the request will be
respected or not.
More meta-discussion at that point is just noise.

B. If $SOMEBODY finds that the objectionable discussion is still continuing,
kill-file
the participants.

C. Ultimately the in-place SC at any point in time uses their subjective
interpretation of what's
in the best interest of the LUG to decide whether or not to intervene, and
to decide what the
appropriate intervention is.

I really don't think we're going to do much better than that, even if we do
implement some
written CoC.

Phil