[TriLUG] Fedora 7 Presentation!

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 20:49:49 EDT 2007

J.C. Jones wrote:
> Afternoon everyone,
>
> Has anyone installed Fedora 7 since the presentation at our last Trilug
> meeting?
>
> I am making space on a desktop pc to install it. Wanted to get some idea
> of the install experiences from others.

I did an install this weekend.  Installed from the LiveCD.  For the
most part, the install was straightforward and typical for a Linux
distro.  I only had 2.5 complaints:

One, I could not get the installer to launch using PXE boot.  Everytime
I did the netboot the thing would hang on something to do with PCMCIA.
This is why I wound up installing from the LiveCD since I didn't have
a DVD burner handy and they aren't providing CD-ROM images.

Two, the sound-card detection was a little weird.  During the installer
it found the right card, but I couldn't hear the test sound and thought
something had crapped out.  But once the install was finished and I
rebooted, I had sound.  Weird.

Two point five: The madwifi driver is still apparently horked
for Atheros 5211 based cards.  I don't really blame this on Fedora, as
it appears that the issue I'm seeing (txpower keeps dropping to 0)
is a known issue with the madwifi driver.  They have a patch in CVS
for what I think is the same issue I'm seeing, so I'll try building
their drive from source later and see if I can get wireless working.

TTYL,

Phil