[TriLUG] Trilug Kode of Kondukt

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 00:45:28 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 15:57 -0400, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

> Where do others stand on this? Speak up now while there's still plenty
> of time to make and discuss changes to the proposed CoC.

This CoC idea is a profound change to that concept of a LUG: it
empowers someone with the ability to actually remove another member from
the group, mailing list, whatever.

This troll - the shadowy person-placeholder is a label waiting to be
applied to anyone who "gets out of line". Don't believe me? Well you're
just a Nazi! :-p

How does the CoC protect individual members from being picked on? Where
does it draw the line? OT posts? Clever yet sharp comments? Forgetting
to bring the creamed corn to the donation meeting? Demanding a program
presented by SuSE? There's an ocean of unsaid limits, unspoken
interpretations "in the spirit of".

None of us gives a second thought about our membership when we write a
post. I've read a-plenty that I think are wasted time, and I salute the
authors with a hearty delete key. But removal of a person never enters
the thought process. This is a LUG for gawdsake.

You vote this thing in, no matter how softly it's titled and  you give
someone(s) in the group the power to remove others. The reason why
becomes a footnote. A detail easily manipulated and spun by those who
would obscure. And the point of it is..what? Who in the group would want
such power? And if given, who would want to exercise it?

Make and discuss changes? What about changing it out of existence,
removing it from the discussion. Making the bad dream disappear?

Think it over, carefully. It seems a pointless aggregation of such a
negative power.

JKB