[TriLUG] Trilug Kode of Kondukt

Allen Freeman knieveltech at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 10:28:54 EDT 2007

Well said, sir!

James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com> wrote: On 8/14/07, Matt Frye  wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Greg Brown  wrote:
> > The group has policed itself very well over the last few years...
>
> I keep hearing this, and I respect TriLUG's view to police itself if
> it's truly going to do it.  But when I hear one member call another "a
> complete douche" or to STFU, I have some doubts.
>
> I guess what I can't understand is the outright animosity I'm seeing
> over this CoC.  Rather than hearing from a bunch of people that the
> CoC is unnecessary, I've heard "ridiculous," "silly," and even
> experienced some personal attacks.  That's uncool and beneath this
> great organization.
>From my stand point, everyone that was trying to push this CoC forward
is taking things far more personal than they should.  I've seen very
few personal attacks, and honestly "riduculous" and "silly" are only
scathing reviews if your ego is far too implanted in this CoC (That is
not a personal attack just an observation).

I've even heard some say their have been no cogent arguments against a
CoC.  Well that is only because they are not listening to the
disenting view on this issue.  This is a sign to me that those
non-listening parties are showing a lack of respect for those who have
a disenting view.  That lack of respect, is actually contrary to the
CoC which was to somehow out of the Logos produce such inherit respect
within our group.   That said one person's contrary behavior that
represents the CoC does not necessarily make the CoC a bad thing.

There is a view, that in general, regardless of its content that a CoC
is harmful document, and will not help the TriLUG become a better
organization.   If you are in that camp then discussing the actual
content of the document is counter productive, as you are opposed to a
CoC in this TriLUG in general.  Even still, efforts have been made to
ask disenters to talk about what they would like changed in the
document, even though the promoter knew that the disenter was opposed
to the document in general and on principle not on letter or content.
In other words the promoter was trying to win the argument and not
actually communicate with respect their point of view.

The bottom line is a CoC is not going to produce respect amongst
fellow members for fellow members.  The way this is achieved is by
leaders withing the group being respectful to the members, even those
with disenting views.  By leading in this way others will likely
follow suite.

Cheers...james