[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 14 14:57:11 EDT 2007

Allen Freeman <knieveltech at yahoo.com> writes:

> From a detached third party standpoint it appears the document
> in question IS inevitable.

Yes. That's the pattern. Don't worry, it won't last.

1. Useful things are popular.
2. Whoever writes the code for the useful thing thinks he controls it.
3. But since all code is imperfect, flawed code becomes a sanction for
   abusers.

Useful things, like a mailing list, copyright law, cryptography,
and computers in general become popular rather quickly.

Then someone proposes something like a code of conduct, digital
rights management, clipper chips, or trusted computing to ensure
no one else uses the useful thing in a deviant fashion.

Which, of course, acts as a roadmap for those wanting to stir.

Eventually those writing the code realize any bad behavior they've
failed to outlaw is bad behavior they've in effect sanctioned.

Well, not everybody. Bruce Scheiner realized pervasive cryptography
couldn't really solve the worlds problems around 2000. Larry Lessig
figured it out about copyright in 2005 or so. Microsoft still thinks
they can keep their code safe with enough service packs and such.
Torvolds had it figured out in '93, but he had Stallman as a guide.

The RIAA is still in denial.

Each of us already has our own code of conduct, and they're mostly
all compatible with each others. Trying to render the 'aggregate
TriLUG code of conduct' into a document is as pointless as trying to
maintain an up-to-date subscriber list. As soon as you get it down
on paper, it will be wrong. Even norms of conduct evolve.

And it's dangerous; it purports to grant power to a select few
(be they the steering commitee, or those who show up to vote)
and it *excludes* otherwise willing participants. I don't see
the list as being in danger of being taken-over by mis-behaving
individuals. We see one or two 'bad day' comments, and an
occasional troll, but generally they lose interest and wander
off after a bit. Or they stick around, lurk, learn by example,
and re-join civil society.

Isn't that part of our mission statement? oops....

sholton at mindspring.com
Innovation is a wildflower. You cannot choose where it will blossom; you can only choose where it will not.