[TriLUG] forum software as an alternative to email?

Jason Herr hobie at mail.com
Wed Aug 15 00:22:31 EDT 2007

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask (and put on my asbestos
shorts)...

If trilug is growing, why not look at using forum software for
communication?  Many have rss feeds, so one could read it in
thunderbird.   The biggest issue I've seen with mailing lists is the
simple organizational one.   Large groups of people are dumber then
small ones.  The odds of a smart-alec remark being offensive or
misinterpreted increases.

I've dealt with non-technical groups using both forum and email
software.  The archival systems of a forum are easier to search.   The
organizational nature of the forum is easier for an end user to
understand.  As the volume of posts increases, organization allows for
scaling.  I have seen this work for groups that are VERY large and tend
to be VERY contentious.

Tanner made a point earlier (in the CoC thread) that the Lug is growing.
  Growth needs scalability.  Mailing lists don't scale, and I believe
that Matt has proven that by creating yet another mailing list for the
CoC discussion.  (I mean that as an observation, and not a snarky comment.)

PS.  Where are the by-laws?   I see references to them on the site, but
no links.  The Articles of Incorporation refer to them as well.
http://www.trilug.org/search/node/by-law+OR+bylaw