[TriLUG] Trilug Kode of Kondukt Konkrete Suggesions

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 15 01:21:16 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 01:09 -0400, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> Would you be happy with it if we cut out this section:
>
> <snip />
>
> Dealing with violators
> <snip />
>
> Yes? No? Maybe? Something else entirely? Please make a concrete
> suggestion either to the list or to conduct at trilug.org. It feels like
> you're mocking our earnest efforts at building this community with a
> Nazi parody, and if that's the case it is profoundly insulting. Please

You hit it on the head: I'd take out the "Concentration of
Control" (CoC) part.

I wasn't mocking. If I were mocking, I'd have called you "Criscoball".
But I didn't, and I wouldn't. No way chief. I love you man. You have
provided inspiration you don't even know. But that's another story for
later.

> Also, I think you're focussed on the wrong end of things. I really
> think we (the current steering committee) would be ridiculously
> unlikely to actually use this enforcement section. In fact I can think
> of only one example where it would have applied (the "baby killer"
> thread).

But I WAS focussed on the right thing. I refuse to give a small minority
any enforcement power whatsoever. Steering committee benevolence and
oversight be dambed.

The will of Landru is the health of the body. Friend, are you of the
body?

> Lastly, you don't think about your membership when you post to the
> list? You don't think about how google will remember your words 5, 15
> years from now? As an administrator for ibiblio.org I deal on a
> semi-regular basis with people who want their emails removed from an
> ibiblio-hosted list. They made a stupid comment back in 1997 (we've

I'm not talking about naivete or foolishness. I mean "I never feel
intimidated or controlled when I post to the TriLUG list". I feel free,
as in liberty, to participate fully in the conversation.

I meant "risk to my own personal membership in the group", not "will I
look like a fool to the membership"? I can't look like a fool to the
membership - I know how to spell.

The debate over the KoK has been energetic. Frothy, even. Such vitality!
I love both Magnus and Tanner like brothers and would drink a beer with
'em anytime. I have a bet that they are both loud drunks.

But I wouldn't drink a beer with Jim Ray. I hear he's not a cheap date
when there's beer involved. I have a mortgage, after all.

Normally, Jon Carnes or Jim Towers(R) would take it from here and run
with it...*sigh*...what IS that bone-cold chill I'm feeling already?

You cannot belong to a LUG, a mailing list, or for that matter any group
of people, and be sensitive to the point of carrying a chip. You write
yourself out of the game when you do that. And any kind of Kode of
Konformity is useless on those with a grudge and insulting to those
without.

I guess my biggest concern now is where to go from here?

JKB